Whether you’re a first-time mama or are a mom to several, you’ve probably heard about lactation cookies as a tool to increase milk supply. Many breastfeeding moms swear by these breastfeeding snacks and consider them to be an easy (and tasty!) way to boost, maintain, and nourish your milk supply.
Now, you might be wondering - ‘how can a cookie have the power to influence lactation?’
Sounds like magic, right? It’s important to know that when it comes to the effectiveness of lactation cookies, it’s all about the ingredients. You know, the sometimes confusing panel you find on the back of food products.
If you’re on the hunt for a way to promote healthy lactation, this post is for you. Deciphering the ingredients in various products on the market can be exhausting and at times confusing--but don’t worry, we’ve done the work for you!
Treat Yourself With Our Lactation-Boosting Cookie Bites
What Are Lactation Cookies?
Lactation cookies, bites, and snacks are a convenient way to have milk supply on the go. They are usually made with galactagogues and other ingredients to stimulate breastmilk production.
However, not all cookies are made the same. Many on the market are filled with sugars, artificial flavors, low-quality ingredients, and little to no milk-supporting nutrients.
The best lactation cookies to eat are ones that help increase and nourish your milk supply, while also fueling your body. Look for no-bake, superfood bites made from high-quality ingredients.
Do Lactation Cookies Work?
Yes, lactation cookies do work to increase breast milk supply.
Why Is It Hard For Moms To Increase Milk Supply?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 60% of mothers do not breastfeed for as long as they intend to. Why?
This can occur for many different reasons, including:
- Issues with lactation and latching
- Concerns about infant nutrition and weight
- Mother’s concern about taking medications while breastfeeding
- Unsupportive work policies and lack of parental leave
- Cultural norms and/or lack of family support
- Unsupportive hospital practices and policies
As these challenges are faced by so many moms, there are a ton of different products on the market that claim to support healthy lactation, one of them being lactation cookies. For the breastfeeding mom concerned about her milk supply, these treats can be an easy solution!
How to Know if You Have Low Milk Supply
Breastfeeding is tricky! Many moms may think that they may not be producing enough breastmilk but the "signs" they are seeing are actually not indicators of low milk supply! If you are worried about your milk supply, here are two real signs that you may not be producing sufficient milk for your baby:
1. Not Enough Weight Gain
While your baby's weight can decrease in the days after birth (which is absolutely normal and happens for most babies), they should slowly regain this weight by the end of the second week postpartum. A healthy baby should then gain between 4-7oz each week, with some variation depending on your baby. If your baby hasn't started gaining back her birth weight by the second week, or if you feel your baby has not gained enough weight weekly, this is a sign of low milk supply.
2. Not Enough Dirty Diapers
Make sure to keep track of how much your baby is peeing and pooping per 24 hours based on her age. By the end of the first week, you should be seeing about 6-8 wet diapers a day and couple of dirty diapers. If your baby is not peeing and pooping enough, this is a sign of low milk supply.
What are the Common Ingredients in Lactation Cookies?
Here’s a quick breakdown of some specific ingredients commonly found in lactation cookies:
- Brewers Yeast: This ingredient is a source of B vitamins, chromium, selenium and protein. It does not contain B12, but the other B vitamins in there may help to boost energy and support the nervous system. It is also said that it can help with digestion and keep your skin, hair, eyes, mouth and liver healthy.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed is a good source of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It contains vitamins E and B, calcium, iron, and potassium. It can be used to help keep your digestive system regular and prevent irritable bowel syndrome. It may also lower blood glucose and improve insulin tolerance.
- Oats: A great source of soluble fiber, oats help to slow down the absorption of carbohydrates into the bloodstream, which helps to avoid spikes in your blood sugar levels. They are also a great source of magnesium as well as other vitamins & minerals so it’s a great idea to have them as part of your diet anyway!
- Wheat Germ: This ingredient contains zinc, which is a must for breastfeeding moms. Zinc aids the immune system and even helps to protect cracked nipples, a common occurrence when breastfeeding. Like brewer's yeast, it is also believed to help with postpartum depression.
- Galactogogues: One of the most common ingredients found in lactation cookies, galactogogues are herbs and foods that are known to increase milk supply.
When to Start Using Lactation Cookies
Your milk supply will start to build as you have your baby, however, proper nutrition, hydration, and relaxation always helps with a strong milk supply. We recommend preparing your lactation bites in advance so they are right on hand and you can use them as soon as hunger or low energy kicks in.
We even recommend taking Majka Lactation Bites to the hospital for a quick nourishing snack after you’ve had your little one to help with regaining your strength and energy, provide an abundance of healthy vitamins, and give your milk supply a good boost!
What Makes Our Majka Lactation Cookie Bites Different?
Our Majka Lactation Bites aren’t your typical lactation cookie. They’re lactation cookies packed with ingredients traditionally used to support breast milk supply, and they're a healthy, convenient snack for nursing moms on the go! Plus, they’re the first refrigerated lactation cookie on the market (that can also be enjoyed unrefrigerated).
Each bite is packed with superior ingredients that supplement your daily nutrition and support healthy lactation production. Unlike many lactation snacks you’ll find at the store, our recipe is made from natural ingredients--no more worrying about the nutrition label!
Every Majka Bite contains all the nutritional benefits without unnecessary calories, added sugars, or artificial ingredients. They’re the perfect snack for the whole family, and they fit well into your busy day. So make sure you save some for yourself--they’re addicting!
Our bites contain various superhero ingredients, including:
- Black Sesame Seeds: Black sesame seeds increase milk supply in mothers, and are loaded with nutrients, including proteins, unsaturated fats, B vitamins, copper, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, and antioxidants.
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds are an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which helps raise your “good” cholesterol and protects against heart attack and stroke. Chia seeds naturally raise energy levels, giving breastfeeding moms the strength they need to keep up with the many tasks of motherhood.
- Coconut: A delicious and nutritious source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, coconut is rich in zinc, which promotes the post-birth healing process.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek provides relief for anemia, loss of taste, fever, dandruff, stomach and respiratory disorders, diabetes, inflammation, and more. Fenugreek is also a key ingredient in building milk supply, as it’s one of the best herbal galactagogues.
- Glossostemon Bruguieri: An Egyptian folk medicine, glossostemon bruguieri serves as a nutritive tonic for the purpose of promoting lactation.
- Oats & Flaxseed: High fiber superfoods like oats and flaxseed support healthy digestion while meeting your daily manganese intake. These superfoods metabolize nutrients, increase energy, and boost collagen production to aid in wound healing. Additionally, oats contain beta-glucan, giving them lactogenic powers.
- Turmeric: As a natural anti-inflammatory compound, turmeric can help reduce the risk of mastitis during lactation. This spice also improves brain function and increases dopamine levels; these properties support a positive mood that can help beat baby blues.
For optimal lactation support, we recommend eating one to two bites per day. For increased milk supply, enjoy your bites an hour before breastfeeding or pumping!
How to Store Lactation Cookies
While it's great to have lactation cookies on hand in advance, if you are worried about them going bad, or would like to make a double batch, here are a few ways you can store them:
- Freeze Baked Lactation Cookies - If you baked your own lactation cookies, make sure to let them cool before you place them into an airtight container and into the freezer. When it comes time to reheating your cookies, simply let them thaw out on your counter or in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Freeze Raw Lactation Cookie Dough - If you choose to freeze your dough to make your lactation cookies fresh in the future, first freeze your dough in the shape of a ball on a sheet. Once solid, you can put these in a freezer bag and simply take a few out to bake each time you need. To reheat, place a couple onto a sheet and bake in oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate Baked Lactation Cookies - After baking your lactation cookies, wait for them to cool before placing them into an airtight container in your fridge.
- Refrigerate No-Bake Lactation Cookies - If you opted for no-bake lactation cookies like Majka's Lactation Bites, just make sure to fully seal the bag and your cookies should be good for 3 months refrigerated!
What Other Foods Should Breastfeeding Moms Eat?
As a breastfeeding mama, you have no many important nutritional needs so that both you and your baby can feel at your best. When you are breastfeeding, it is important to eat a variety of foods to make sure you get enough nutrients for you and your baby.
We suggest eating dark leafy greens, fish, nuts, avocado, eggs, bananas, and sweet potatoes among other foods to help with your vitamin and mineral intake. Incorporating foods such as squash, lentils, and corn will also help you with getting enough methylfolate into your diet.
Galactagogues are essential to increase the production of breast milk, so make sure to add some chickpeas, oatmeal, and papaya to your diet to see the benefits. Don't forget to eat foods high in protein, healthy carbohydrates, and iron to help keep you full and energized in your breastfeeding diet.
For a more inclusive and in-depth take on what to include in your breastfeeding diet, check out this blog post!
All Of Your Lactation Cookie Questions, Answered
Will Lactation Cookies Cause Oversupply?
Here at Majka, we’re commonly asked if lactation cookies can cause overproduction of milk. If you’re not struggling with milk production, don’t worry--eating Lactation Bites won’t cause you to produce more milk than you need!
Do Lactation Cookies Make You Gain Weight?
Just like any food, it’s best to enjoy your lactation cookies in moderation, of course! Aside from weight gain, eating too much of anything can actually create gaps in your diet, which is why it’s important to eat a variety of foods.
When it comes to our Lactation Bites, you don’t have to worry about any added sugars or preservatives that could potentially lead to weight gain. We recommend enjoying 1-2 bites per day!
How Fast Do Lactation Cookies Work?
Lactation cookies work fairly quickly, but consistency is key! We recommend enjoying our Lactation Bites one hour before breastfeeding or pumping, and doing this consistently is when you’ll really start to see results!
Do Lactation Cookies Make You And/Or Your Baby Gassy?
Can Anyone Eat Lactation Cookies?
We’re happy to say that when it comes to our Lactation Bites, the answer is YES! Our Bites are specifically designed to support breastfeeding moms, but these ingredients can be beneficial to anyone and everyone. They’re packed with healthy vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants – beneficial ingredients for all.
We find that our Bites don’t last long in anyone’s house, because everyone enjoys them! (But make sure to save some for yourself, mama!)
How Long Does It Take Lactation Cookies Work?
Lactation cookies work fairly quickly, but consistency is key! We recommend enjoying 1-2 Lactation Bites per day, or one hour before breastfeeding or pumping. Doing this consistently is when you’ll really start to see results!
Where Do I Buy Lactation Cookies?You can find our Lactation bites right here on our website! We offer Original and Chocolate, as well as an optional subscription so you don’t have to worry about reordering!
How Many Lactation Cookies Should I Eat?
You can enjoy Lactation Bites at any point during the day, and it’s safe to eat as many as you’d like. Our bites will not cause an oversupply. Rather, they help you get to the level of milk production required for your baby. We recommend 1-2 per day or 1 hour before feeding.
Homemade No-Bake Lactation Cookies and Bites Recipe
- 2 cups steamed sweet potato
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 ½ scoops Nourishing Lactation Protein Powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 drops Stevia
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend
- Transfer dough to a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour
- Once chilled, begin scooping out your bites. Roll them into balls and then roll them in any topping you want, such as shredded coconut.
- Enjoy! You can store your bites in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Want to learn about our Nourishing Lactation Powder? We break down the benefits of our powder in this blog post.
What Our Community Says About Our Bites
“I love the bites! They are super moist and soft compared to other bites i have tried! They are also the perfect size for a quick snack that also aides in milk production! The best!” - Carly E.
“I recently returned back to work and life is definitely chaotic. I have a toddler and a 7 week old and I am nervous about milk supply. I definitely need things that I can quickly grab when I need to eat and these bites are perfect for that. I love the taste and plan on purchasing more!” - Kacey P.
“I was dealing with a milk supply dip when we started sleep training and my little one began sleeping 8+hrs at night. The shake and the bites helped in conjunction with extra pumping to get my supply back up with full force in days! I love the spice flavor of both, but particularly the bites, which I swear taste like healthy donuts!” - Amy C.
“I saw results immediately and with consistent use my milk supply doubled! They are the perfect snack to have before breastfeeding or pumping and taste so much better than previous lactation products I have tried.” - Nicole
In conclusion, to answer the question of whether or not lactation cookies really work...yes, they do!
We designed our bites to be the best of both worlds. They taste amazing and they’re full of nutrients designed to fill in the nutritional gaps experienced by many new moms. Each bag is filled with four large bites to give your body just what it needs!
So, the next time you’re about to trek out into the real world, make sure to pack a bag of Majka Lactation Bites! Because when you love yourself, you love motherhood even more.
If you're looking for more information on breastfeeding and nutrition, check out these free resources and blog posts:
Lactation Bite Recipes:
This blog post was originally published on 11/7/2018, and has been updated for 2021